This section discusses HTML editors and how they can assist in your web development efforts.
A good HTML editor is an important tool for any web developer. A good HTML editor will help you create a website much faster than using a text editor such as Notepad. In fact, most (if not all) professional web developers use a purpose built HTML editor to create their websites.
What is an HTML Editor?
An HTML editor is a special text editor that supports HTML markup. HTML editors typically have more functionality than simple text editors. HTML editors typically have features that facilitate HTML authoring. Some HTML editors have a WYSIWG mode, where the user doesn't need to write any code at all if they don't want.
To learn more about HTML editors, check out this article What Is An HTML Editor?
Examples of HTML Editors
- Adobe Dreamweaver is the industry leader when it comes to HTML editors. It contains virtually every feature you'd expect to be in an advanced HTML editor and more.
- CoffeeCup HTML Editor is a more basic editor that contains the features that you'd expect in most HTML editors, plus a few more. Features include HTML and CSS support, split screen view, HTML entities library, built-in FTP client and more.
Specialized HTML Editors
Some HTML editors don't quite fit into the mold of a typical HTML editor. Some editors are more specialized to a particular context. Here are some examples.
- CoffeeCup Form Builder is a special editor for creating web forms.
- CoffeeCup Shopping Cart Creator allows you to build a shopping cart straight from within a WYSIWYG editor.
- CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer is an HTML editor for those who don't want to code HTML (if that makes any sense!) It's not really an HTML editor as such, but as the name suggests, it's a website designer. This option is similar to Fireworks, where you create your website based on visuals, then export the HTML code at the end. Suitable for those who don't intend to code HTML or CSS.
Online HTML Editor
Although HTML editors are typically a desktop application, this isn't always true. There are various online resources that assist in generating HTML code. Check out this online HTML editor.
Online Website Builder
You can take it a step further and have an HTML editor integrated into an online website builder.